Presented by Sharon Duncan
Date, Time, Cost
Wednesday, May 17th
7.30PM EDT – 9.00PM EDT
Fee: $30.00 for SENG Members; $40.00 for Non-Members
Enjoy the benefits of Membership… become a SENG MEMBER today!
Education acceleration can take many forms: single subject, multiple subject, single grade, multiple grade and early entrance into kindergarten or college. Though much research exists confirming that acceleration is one of the most effective accommodations for many gifted students, well-meaning schools and parents often hesitate to utilize this option because of the myths surrounding it and the fear of harming the student. While never a decision to be taken lightly, acceleration is not only beneficial, in some cases it may be lifesaving.
This SENGinar is for parents, or educators considering acceleration. Topics covered will include common fears and myths surrounding acceleration, different ways to identify candidate students, profiles of what an acceleration candidate may look like (they might not be the perfect straight A student), and practical techniques for creating and implementing an effective transition plan which includes how to:
- Scaffold the student during the transition
- Provide support to the school team (educators, counselors, school psychologists, etc.)
- Create a partnership with the affected family
- Work with parents and student on how to handle social stigma
- Address common community questions (pushback, favoritism, fears of social/emotional damage).
Registration opens SOON