Author(s): Steven I. Pfeiffer, PhD, ABPP
This is a general introduction of the high-level issues associated with identifying and counseling gifted youth. Upon reading this essay you will:
- Understand definitional issues which contribute to the misunderstanding of the gifted.
- Obtain information on prevalence estimates for the gifted.
- Learn about the most common characteristics of the gifted.
- Gain an understanding about the twice exceptional — the gifted with a mental health disorder.
- Learn about the most common parental concerns and questions asked of professionals about their gifted child.
The essay will accompany the exam and evaluation form.
Accredited by: American Psychological Association
Exam details: 6 true/false questions
Publication details: The American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, Vol. 48; Number 8; August 2009.