Become a SENG Model Parent Group Facilitator
Help parents understand and develop skills for nurturing the development of their gifted children
SENG Model Parent Groups (SMPGs) are structured to bring together 10 to 20 interested parents of gifted and talented children to discuss such topics as motivation, discipline, stress management, and peer relationships. The co‐facilitators of the group, though they are knowledgeable about parenting and about educating gifted/talented children, do not attempt to give expert advice to families. Instead their facilitation provides a non‐judgmental and nurturing atmosphere. The parents of the high ability children are themselves a rich resource of information, and they are able to get fresh ideas from other parents and from A Parent’s Guide to Gifted Children, the book around which the sessions are organized. The groups meet weekly for 8‐10 weeks.
Facilitator training includes:
- Objectives of SENG Model Parent Groups (SMPGs)
- Characteristics of Parents in SMPGs
- The Role of SMPG Facilitators
- Group Facilitation Techniques
- Content Learning of Session Topic Areas: Characteristics, Motivation, Discipline, Stress Management, Peer Relations, Sibling Rivalry, and Tradition Breaking.
- Practice of Facilitation Techniques
- Potential Problems and Solutions in SMPGs
- How to Organize a local SMPG
UPCOMING SMPG Facilitator Training:
SENG Annual Conference
Date: July 21, 2016
Colonial Williamsburg, VA
OHIO SMPG Facilitator Training / Rescheduled
Dates: October 2016
Times: 8:00am – 8.30pm Friday | 8:00am – 12.00pm Saturday
Trainer(s): Lori Comallie-Caplan; Heather Cachat
Cost: $325/person. Price includes Books, support materials and 1st year licensing fee.
Please be Advised that this training has been rescheduled to October 2016.
Training may be cancelled subject to not meeting the minimum requirements.
Refund Policy: If class is cancelled, registrants can choose between a full refund or apply credit toward a future workshop. No other refunds will be given. Registration is not refundable for any other reason.