Become a SENG Model Parent Group Facilitator
Help parents understand and develop skills for nurturing the development of their gifted children
SENG Model Parent Groups (SMPGs) are structured to bring together 10 to 20 interested parents of gifted and talented children to discuss such topics as motivation, discipline, stress management, and peer relationships. The co‐facilitators of the group, though they are knowledgeable about parenting and about educating gifted/talented children, do not attempt to give expert advice to families. Instead their facilitation provides a non‐judgmental and nurturing atmosphere. The parents of the high ability children are themselves a rich resource of information, and they are able to get fresh ideas from other parents and from A Parent’s Guide to Gifted Children, the book around which the sessions are organized. The groups meet weekly for 8‐10 weeks.
Facilitator training includes:
- Objectives of SENG Model Parent Groups (SMPGs)
- Characteristics of Parents in SMPGs
- The Role of SMPG Facilitators
- Group Facilitation Techniques
- Content Learning of Session Topic Areas: Characteristics, Motivation, Discipline, Stress Management, Peer Relations, Sibling Rivalry, and Tradition Breaking.
- Practice of Facilitation Techniques
- Potential Problems and Solutions in SMPGs
- How to Organize a local SMPG
UPCOMING SMPG Facilitator Training:
SENG Annual Conference / Education and Training
Colonial Williamsburg, VA
Date: Thursday July 21, 2016 and Friday July 22, 2016
- Part I: Thursday, July 21 8:15~ 11:30A M
- Part II: Thursday, July 21 1:00 ~ 4:00 PM
- Part III (Parent Practice Session): Thursday, July 12, 6:30 PM ~ 9.00 PM
- Part IV: Friday, July 22, 2.00 ~ 3.15 pm
- Part V: Friday, July 22, 4.00 ~ 4:45 pm
Trainer(s): Lori Comallie-Caplan and Sheri Plybon
Cost: $325.00 per person. Price includes books, support materials and 1st year licensing
Minnesota Council for the Gifted and Talented (MCGT) Facilitator Training
Dates: Monday, August 15, 2016 – Tuesday, August 16, 2016
- Part I: Monday, August 15 ~ 9am — noon
- Part II: Monday, August 15 ~ 1:00 – 4:30pm
- Part III (Parent Practice Session): Monday, August 15 ~ 6:30 – 8:30pm
- Part IV: Tuesday, August 16 ~ 9am to noon
Trainer(s): Joan Larson, High Potential Teacher for Minnetonka Public Schools, SENG Master Facilitator and Trainer and Carol Malueg, MCGT President, Gifted Education Consultant and Researcher, SENG Master Facilitator and Trainer
Cost: $325/person. Price includes book and support materials, 1st year licensing fee and certificate.
Space is limited; register today
OHIO SMPG Facilitator Training
Dates: October 2016
Times: 8:00am – 8.30pm Friday | 8:00am – 12.00pm Saturday
Trainer(s): Lori Comallie-Caplan; Heather Cachat
Cost: $325/person. Price includes Books, support materials and 1st year licensing fee.
Refund Policy: If class is cancelled, registrants can choose between a full refund or apply credit toward a future workshop. No other refunds will be given. Registration is not refundable for any other reason.